Sometimes you can’t seem to lose weight no matter how hard you work out or what diet you follow. Women who have had children may believe that their bodies have altered and that they are unable to remove pregnancy weight after childbirth. Tummy tuck surgery may be a good option for you at such a stage.
In this article, a renowned plastic surgeon in Bandra, Dr. Leena Jain, talks about tummy tuck surgery.
What is Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck surgery is also known as abdominoplasty. It removes extra fat and skin from your abdomen and tightens the muscles in your abdominal wall.
It is best to get a tummy tuck if you have excess fat around your belly or a weak abdominal wall. It can be seen as a minor or more involved procedure. It depends on how much fat and skin you need to remove.
Dr. Leena Jain is a plastic surgeon in India with over seven years of experience in this field. She has her specialty in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Who is it suitable for?
If you want to remove excess fat from your tummy area due to one or more reasons the following, you can consider tummy tuck surgery:
- Drastic changes in weight
- Previous pregnancies
- Natural body type
If you have had C-section previously, your surgeon might be able to incorporate the tummy tuck scar into your C-section scar.
When should you avoid tummy tuck surgery?
According to Dr. Leena, who is a renowned plastic surgeon in Bandra, your surgeon may advise you against tummy tuck surgery if:
- You are planning to lose a lot of weight
- You are planning on future pregnancies
- You have health conditions like diabetes or heart disease
- Have a BMI (Body-Mass Index) of more than 30
- Had a surgery previously that has caused a loss of scar tissue
According to Dr. Leena, the following are how you should prepare for your tummy tuck surgery:
- You will discuss the tummy tuck procedure with a plastic surgeon. During the initial visits, your plastic surgeon will review your medical history.
- It is important to tell your plastic surgeon if you are allergic to any medications; if you want to get a tummy tuck for weight loss, your surgeon will also ask questions about your weight loss and weight gain.
- To decide your treatment plan, your doctor will examine your abdomen and may take pictures of your abdomen for your medical records.
- You should explain to your doctor why you want a tummy tuck surgery and what you expect about your appearance after the surgery.
- Tummy tuck surgery leaves a scar. You need to understand the advantages and risks of the surgery. If you are fine with it, you can proceed with the surgery after properly discussing it with your surgeon.
- Before the surgery, you may also need to stop smoking as it interrupts healing.
- Maintain a healthy weight for at least 12 months before the surgery.
- You should avoid anti-inflammatory medications as they increase bleeding.
According to Dr. Leena, your plastic surgeon will perform one of the following procedures depending on your desired results and the amount of belly fat.
In this surgery, the plastic surgeon works on the entire abdomen to mold it to the desired form. They will focus on abdominal muscles, relocating the umbilicus, and removing extra fat. The surgeon may insert a drainage tube beneath the skin, which will be released in a few days.
Partial or mini-abdominoplasty
The belly button will not be operated on in this procedure since the patient has significantly less extra skin below the navel.
Circumferential abdominoplasty or extended abdominoplasty
Extra fat produced in the belly and on the back is removed during this procedure, enhancing the form of the torso.
The surgery can take 1 to 5 hours, depending on the procedure. After the partial or full tummy tuck, your surgeon will stitch and bandage the treatment area. It is essential to follow your surgeon’s instructions.
The following are the advantages of tummy tuck surgery, says Dr. Leena:
- Removes extra fat
- Gets rid of your stretch marks
- It helps you maintain weight
- Gives long-lasting results
- Hides the side effects of weight loss
- Increases your self-image and self-esteem
As with any surgical procedure, tummy tuck surgery also has some complications or risks:
Wound not healing poorly
Sometimes the area around the surgery site can heal poorly or start to separate. You could be given antibiotics during and after the surgery to prevent an infection.
The scar from the tummy tuck is permanent, but it is generally placed along the bikini line, which helps it to be hidden. The visibility and length of the scar can differ from person to person.
Fatty tissues inside your skin in the abdominal area could be damaged or die. The risk of tissue damage could be increased due to smoking.
Loss of sensation on the skin
During a tummy tuck, repositioning your abdominal tissues may affect the nerves in the abdominal area and sometimes your upper thighs. You may feel numbness.
If you have tried everything to lose weight, but it has not been successful, it can take a toll on your mental and emotional health. It can also affect your self-image and self-confidence. A tummy tuck could prove to be a good option for you.
For further queries or inquiries, you can visit Dr. Leena Jain, a plastic surgeon in Bandra.